Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Stepping Out of the Abyss.

Self-Absorbed: The Fool on the Hill.
2013. Acrylic on Canvas Paper.
 
 
But the fool on the hill
Sees the sun going down
And the eyes in his head
See the world spinning round.
                                     Lennon/McCartney
 
 
This painting is a product of Education First Tours (EFTours),                                             Rembrandt, Impressionism,Van Gogh: A Retrospective, Divorce, The Magical Mystery Tour, and Narcissism. 
So let the first, be last.
            I have drawn and painted myself numerous times in my life.  Each self portrait records a Time or an Attitude or perhaps a Thought. A Reminder of how the interior is expressed through the exterior.
            The intentions of an armchair psychologist.
            During its execution, I was determined to recover my Bliss, as defined by Joseph Campbell. The activities and proclivities that make this experience a joy

Like Painting.
Summer Plans 2012
2012.Watercolor and ink on watercolor paper 
 
 
The Magical Mystery Tour
 
            The Beatles album.  One of many great ones.  An incredible highway album.  Nice for long rides.  The journey is about what you see and what you do.  The song came on my ITunes playlist after I finished the painting.  I was looking at the painting at the moment.
 “and the eyes in his head…”





 

DIVORCE

 

            My divorce was final Dec. 21, 2011.  I am mostly done processing.  After a time I decided to I was still an okay dude.  I opened back up and met a real nice lady.  Like a lotus flowering…

 


… And it changed me. 

            So my Lady digs Thrift stores, Goodwill, and Flea Markets.  Now I find treasures at these places.  The best are books.   I found a gem at the Goodwill in Macon, Georgia (incredible café and book section if you are ever in the area.) 


 
 
 


 




Van Gogh
A Retrospective
Edited by Susan Alyson Stein
 

            I already liked Vincent.  His tragic story, the intensity of his vision, and the beauty of his use of color made Vincent an integral tool for Art Education.  Years ago (nearly a decade now…) I saw his work in person in Amsterdam.  At the time I was not a competent enough student of painting to appreciate the technique or his execution.  Two years ago I saw his work repeatedly while journeying through the U.K. to Paris.  Courtesy of Education First Tours. 
 
 
        
Van Gogh, A Retrospective contains a painting in particular that exploded from the page with energy and light. 

Pink peach trees (Souvenir de mauve)
1888

 

            BRUSHTROKES!! 

Brushstrokes became important. 
LEARNING TO PAINT

So I am looking  forward and moving forward.  Learning to layer the paint and swirl the brush.  Stepping out of the Abyss. The Fool on the hill.
 
 

No comments: