Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Shit I dig! Comics I read this week 9/10/13



Shit I dig. Comics I read this week 9/10/13

 

BIG EVENTS & TIE-INS

 

            I haven’t been to MY comic book shop in a few weeks.  Thank goodness (REALLY, but not really) for the Forever Evil Event!  The handful of New 52 titles I get, I didn’t cause I’m not interested in learning about villains who would be better served to be explored in STORYLINE.  These books come off as filler and desperate merchandising.  Anyway saves me some dough for…Events! 

            The end of Trinity War, the beginning of Battle of the Atom, the continuation of Infinity and a Zero issue from Valiant filled out my “box” this week.

            And THIS is what I have to say about THAT…

 

9.  Forever Evil #1

Really New 52.  REALLY?

            The bad guys win. Does anyone remember Villains United?  Final Crisis?  This issue, I was not impressed.  I’m even beginning to hope for another Reset button pressing.  Lost Earth2 and Batwoman on some creative bull-ish.  Batman Inc… ended.  Green Lantern lost me two Geoff Johns happenings back.  I had even just discovered Wonder Woman and Justice League of America.  Then THIS happens. 

            The art by David Finch looks rushed and over inked.  The four page villain spread is under designed with a lack of consistent proportion.  I’ve seen him do much better… and worse.  I do look forward to Ted Kord maybe becoming Blue Beetle in the New 52.  The character has been one of my favorites since Paris Cullins drew his reintroduction after his appearance in Crisis on Infinite Earths.  I think Geoff Johns is running himself out tapping from the same well. 

 

8.  Infinity Part Two

What..? What the..?  What the HELL is going on???

            And Hickman just lost me.  The moments in this event confuse me.  I feel like I’m missing what the drive is behind this event.  And I’ve read everything in list of tie-ins so far.  I’m just lost.  I liked the first book with the Jim Cheung art and pacing.  But this issue I just don’t know what the hell is going on… The art is nice but there seems to be no storytelling, just exposition. Why didn’t he use the Celestials?  Don’t they serve the same function? 

 

7.  Avengers #18 Infinity tie-in

Words, words, words, etc. 

            I get more and more lost as all the pieces get on the board.  If I was Skrulls I’d get the hint and stay far away from Earth and Earthlings.  Lenlil Yu’s art is interesting but is more visually interesting than serving the progression of the story.  The more important characters appear the more I lose the progression of the story.  Bad Event Tie-in.  BAD! 

 

6.  New Avengers #9 Infinity tie-in

I’m just saying…

            So ever since this book started I thought, “This is clearly Crisis in Infinite Earths done Marvel style.  I have even enjoyed the almost glacial pace of the book.  Any book that maintains T’Challa as an O.G. has my attention.  And I’m still waiting for the redemption of Reed Richards (my boy since Byrne) and Tony Stark for that Civil War bull-ish!  So I’ve enjoyed this book.  Then this damned Infinity event.  It just cuts in and stills the ponderous momentum this book was gaining.  I consider it a device to show how tough the Black Order are.  I’m still down, but this is a misstep in a nicely growing character study of the MADE MEN of the Marvel Universe. 

 

5.  Bloodshot #0

ChrisCross will make ya’….

            Read a lot of Valiant back in the Jim Shooter days, so I have been curious.  Still I got this book for my ChrissCross fix.  And artist I’ve been watching since Blood Syndicate.  Nice background information on the Bloodshot project and its evolution.  Liked the point of view.  I have bee curious about this Matt Kindt cat since his name has been popping up.  Not sur if I am ready to enter the Valiant U. fulltime yet(still torn about Quantum and Woody without Priest and Doc Bright) but very pleased with this product.

 

4.  Justice League #23 End of the Trinity War.

Now how does this lead into Forever Evil again?

            The ART!  I love Ivan Reis and his crew, though I avoided his work on New 52.  Really a shame because he makes everything a lot better.  I have yet to read a story that is equal to his visual work but the Green Lantern stuff (before Brightest Day) came close.  I enjoyed this issue despite coming in at the end of the story-arc.  Fed my fanboy lovefor multiple team slugfests.  Not crazy about where this story leads, and there was a whole lot of exposition through the Outsider, but damn this is a pretty book!

 

3.  Uncanny X-men #11

Bendis is now officially my favorite bald white comic writer!

Grant get back on you’re A game!

            I am sooo down for this book.  Since Schism I have become a serious Scott Summers fan.  Still learning about the manipulative stuff he did with X-force, but Cyclops was right!  I am fascinated by his current journey.  Still I hate Sentinels.  Always have and have never found a story beyond Days of Future Past, that I liked them in.  Love Frazer Irving’s art and his rendition of the “new Mutants.”  Bendis rocks!

 

2.  Battle of the Atom Part One

Age of Ultron…not so much…

            Visually striking.  Fast beginning. I like the way this Event is starting.  Seems like a very planned out event and flows right into the story arc.  Bendis is on with his X-books and this book help prove it.  Nice introduction of the players and a surprising beginning.  Bendis seems to be giving Illyana layers. 

 

1.  All New X-men #1 Battle of the Atom Tie-in

ART ADAMS! BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS! STUART IMMONEN

            First the Art Adams covers got me.  Second my favorite comic super-team creative team: Bendis and Immonen.  Third Jean Grey.  This team never lets me down.  And I have just realized how much of a mitch I have become for Marvel Girl.  I can feel Bendis’s love for Kitty, but his devotion to Jean is comparable to Claremont and Morrison.  I never got the feeling Byrne or any other creative team liked her as much.  I teared up at the end.  Finally after two decades I can proudly say these are MY X-men! 

            Its nice to see an Xavier again.  The best thing about this run is that I am wary of every twist and turn and excited about what comes next.  I am a student of Immonen’s work and really appreciate his work when von Grawbadger inks it.   

1 comment:

Marquelon Sigler said...

Good reviews! My Question is why are you hating so much on Infinity? Issue 2, was just a continuation of issue 1, it showed the actual battle?