Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Shit I Dig! Comics I read this week 10/09/2013.


            ITS AN AVENGER WORLD!!


 
 
 
 
 

Shit I dig! Comics I read this week 10/8/2013

It’s like they let loose a Virus.  Like a strain of that virus that first ran through the X-men around the mid-nineties, spreading the concept beyond the limitations of one or two monthly titles.  The Avengers have really caught on!  I blame Brian Bendis, or maybe the editor, Tom Brevoort is the culprit.  Since Bendis’ departure from the Avengers, the brand has exploded.
            So I ended up with almost all Marvel books and an Image title and a final issue of a DC title... for me (that’s been happening a lot lately).
 
 
 
 
 
7.  Mighty Avengers #1  Infinity tie-(yawn)in.
And I always find something wrong…
            In the name of my brethren at the I love comics Face book page I picked up this book R E L U C T A N T L Y.  Where shall I start…
First of all the title logo for this book is smaller and less obtrusive (lower right hand corner?) than the tie-in banner, with three different font types in the design.  Second, with all due respect to the artist’s comicography, I am not a fan of Greg Land.  And finally, a Luke Cage book and we don’t even get a cameo of the most important things in his life: his family?
            This book seems real loose and not a marketing priority or even structured focus.  I have never been much of a Spiderman fan so his presence (especially in his current manifestation) isn’t a draw.  Powerman’s (the younger) angst seems phoned in and absurd next to Powerman (the elder) who defined the model.  Proxima Midnight dives in to give the team a catalyst
            Greg Land.  I enjoyed his CrossGen stuff his work seems so much stiffer in superhero books.  And why can’t he draw Capt Marvel--- ( what? oh) Photon---(hunh? oh) Monica Ramb—(aw shit) SPECTRUM’s legs?!  And why does he draw her like I remember him drawing the Wasp?  I hate her hairdo. 
            Okay so I picked this book up to be ”open.”    I’ll be checking it out at BAM but I bet it becomes a different title in five to six issues…probably on the tail of some other big Event. 
 
6.      Earth 2 #16
DC, I ain’t missing you at all!
 
            Final issue for James Robinson.  Final issue for me. The New 52 was a shock that became more difficult with time.  My decades of DC lore was being upended and twisted(again) in the search for a strong market. A younger wider market.  I was blaise about the whole experience.  The series of events that led up to the Flashpoint story,  completely confused and lost me.  The titles I collected (Batman Inc., Green Lantern, and Batwoman) seemed to be losing their steam. I picked up this book hoping to see some of my favorite heroes of the JSA recreated by a writer who so beautifully interpreted them in the Golden Age Elseworld miniseries from maybe too long ago. His JLA run didn’t grab me but, you know, I’m “open.” 

 
 
At its best I found Earth 2 entertaining but very surface.  It seemed to try very hard to make this Earth 2 diverse and different from any expectations.  I even enjoyed the World’s Finest book that was a distant cousin to Earth 2 since it starred two refugees from Earth 2.  I was interested to see the story play out.  Then I heard Robinson was leaving.  I found a comic podcast where they often interviewed Robinson and his plans for the world were interesting and he seemed to have a lot of room to create.  Then I heard he was leaving. 

            This issue seemed to be a big fight scene stretched out and the reveal of who one of Steppenwolf’s Hungerdogs was did surprise me but…  Like the abrupt departure of the creative team from Batwoman, I cannot think the direction of the narrative will hold its course.  So since I was mildly into this book I’m letting it go.  Damn DC.

            On a DC sidenote I did read a couple of the villain books at BAM this weekend.  I’ll admit I really enjoyed Darkseid and Relic.  The art in both were nice and I liked both of their origins.  Good stories.

 

5.  Avengers #20 Infinity tie-in.

Another one?!?

 

Feels like I get this title every week.  I feel like a trick.  And I don’t really like it.  I didn’t pick up Infinity #3 so I’m missing a bit but…  I’m just not into it.  I feel like I’m missing some jumps in logic in the story.  I haven’t connected to the bad guys.  I think Yu’s work is really beautiful here though I still have issues with his storytelling.

 

4.  Uncanny Avengers # 12

What? Not a tie-in?!

 

            I jump on and off of this title.  Mostly I’ll pick up an issue according to who’s drawing it. 

            I enjoyed this issue.  I’m really out of the loop when it comes to all things Apocalypse.  I left the X-men during the Age of Apocalypse and had been disheartened to look back at them until Grant Morrison’s run on New X-men then Mark Millar’s launching of the Ultimate X-men and Joss Whedon’s Astonishing X-men and currently Bendis.  So I’m just catching up on Rick Remender’s run on X-Force that seems to inform a lot on this title. 

            Kang is a bastard!  The Marvel world is getting as dark as when Osborne was in charge and I’m enjoying it.  I enjoyed the visuals.  Salvador Larocca has a nice take on the characters in this story.  Not too invested in the story but liked this issue.

 

3.  Guardians of the Galaxy #6

Okay, so this space book is not a tie-in?

            I picked this book up to see if it would fill in some gaps, look at the art, and get a since of what may be the tone for the movie coming later. 

            Thanos (as drawn by Olivier Coipel) has an illuminating conversation with Peter Quill.  Whose voice reassured me my boy from Parks & Recs. is perfectly cast.  And he tightened up for the role.  I also really enjoyed Sara Pichelli’s pages.  The fight scenes were sharp with nice camera work. 

            Angela means little to me but I love how Pichelli draws the watcher.  There is a desperate and nervous sadness to her Uatuu.  I may not collect this monthly but I will pick up the Kevin Maguire issue coming up.  His art is perfect for the tone of this book.

 

2.  All New X-men #17. Battle of the Atom tie-in.
 
I’m just a mitch for this creative team. 

            I missed the Wolverine and the X-men issue before I read this issue but I still enjoyed it.  The fanboy in me was mad they didn’t give all of this future group of X-men’s names but was more satisfied by Immonen’s rendition of the X-future.  Really this event’s power is in its simplicity and pace.  The only reason this isn’t number one on my list is because it doesn’t have a lot of layers.  We are just finishing up introducing all the players in the drama.  And everybody looks COOL!

 

1.  Jupiter’s Legacy #3

whoa…

 
            I was disappointed with the second issue. I found the art wonky (a phrase coined by on of my art teachers) and the storytelling was off for Frank Quitely.  This issue was much better and brutal.  Mark Millar writes for shock and awe and Quitely delivers visually.  I’m interested where this is going again. Millar normally holds my attention for four or five issues so I’m hoping he can deliver. And its derivative in that very creative Millar way. They should also call him the M Knight of the comic game because he’s always working a twist.  Waiting to see what he adds the generational hero narrative.  Next issue jumps forward nine years in the story. Hmmmm…

 

Neat Trades-

            I picked up the second volume of Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples.  I could not get this book monthly.  The issues read beautifully at one sitting.  Love the art and love the unfolding story.  Takes me back to Heavy Metal in the seventies and eighties! 

 

Keep Reading!

No comments: