Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Shit I dig! Comics i read this week 10/28/2013



 

The New52 catches my attention....

 
 
         Not a bad comic week and a little different.  Only one Avengers book and no X-books.  And more DC books then Marvel. 
 
 
 
6.  Justice League of America #8. Forever Evil tie-in.
 
Stalling for time.
 
    After watching a film that was generally panned and really enjoying, I've been thinking about not giving things a chance.  I was mostly unhappy with the New 52, being a longtime fan of DC and its ever evolving Continuity.  I was lost in a whirlwind of transformed concepts and  discontinued storylines.  I didn't give the world a chance.  At BAM I found myself catching up on the Wonder Woman series and being completely engaged.  Read a couple of the Deathstroke issues and dug the energy and the art.  I have even admitted to enjoying a  couple of the Villains' month book.  I couldn't follow the Justice League relaunch.  I think I just lost interest until Ivan Reis became penciler.  So when Justice League of America came out I wanted to give it a chance.  Started pretty good but it was deranged by the Trinity War. As if the story pace was sped up to meet with the Forever Evil upcoming event.  When they shot Catwoman in the head I was skeptical.  With the Trinity War my love of superhero teams clashing with big pages and lots of folks caught me. Picked up this issue to get a fix on what was going on with the Forever Evil event.  I was a little disappointed.  Nice character piece and the focus in J'onn made it interesting but really nothing happened.  The hero trapped in his own hell becomes a bit overused but ,ore was learned from who was absence than who were present.  The issue seemed to be dependent on holding back on information that plays out somewhere else.  Art was nice but it lost my attention.  Maybe I should be reading the main event title. By the way the film was After Earth...but that's another discussion in another medium.
 
5. Worlds' Finest #16
 
Of great beginnings.
 
   Another DC book.  Signs of the Armageddon! Really I began getting this book because of the original creative team... and Power Girl.  Paul Levitz writing (quiet Sigler!), George Perez & Kevin Maguire sharing art chores, and Power Girl sharing the stage with her Earth2 BFF Huntress.  It started interesting, but very soon Perez leaves(following his departure from Action Comics) and Maguire follows soon after.  I couldn't get into the art at the time and felt like another delay tactic was going on with respect to unveiling Earth 2 and how this book would connect back to it.  I came back because I liked the art in this issue.  The artist, R.B. Silva, has gotten comfortable with the principle characters and become a lot more consistent. I felt a little out the loop having skipped a few issues but I open to see(even with the departure of J Robinson from Earth 2) where this is going. Looks like all this Apokolips stuff is coming to a head.  Levitz still writes well and I have come to like Helena and Kara.
 
4.  Avengers #21.  Infinity tie-in.
 
Deus Ex Machina.
 
 
   Yeah I know I said I was gonna leave it alone but I am a nerd and part of my nerdiness is a obsession with completion.  So I felt a bad (kinda) for avoiding issue 3 & 4 of the Infinity event.  I enjoyed it.  It was more of that unveiling of the significance of earlier elements.  I knew Captain universe was the lynchpin.  Liked the way Abyss worked with the others to awaken her.  But it felt predictable. And now the Zombie switch has been turned on for the surviving Builders. Liked the visuals though I had to reread the Supremor's scene to realize part of it was flashback.  It wasn't visually clear what was happening now and what was recap.  Still a good issue but I've become more and more interested in what happens after with Thanos.  And where are the Celestials!?
 
3.  Uncanny Avengers #13

 
Momma is there a Heaven for Mutants?
 

I realize that I like Rick Remender's writing... I just wasn't crazy about his choice of characters in this series.  Wasp seemed a little "fast" and Wonderman was soft.  Havok was apologetic and Cap was gruff.  This issue gave me a nice sense of how there voices have evolved during the series.  I have been worried about Scarlet Witch since Byrne twisted her up in Avengers West Coast and Bendis ripped her a new one in Avengers and Civil War.  I liked how Havok and Wasp worked together once I got over the flirting.  I loved Cap not being able to hear Havok but coming up with the same realizations.  a show of respect for Havok as a leader.  The final moments with Simon and Wanda clenched it for me.  I have been a Wonder Man fan since the Green costume and always lit a candle for him and Wanda.  She made an heroic choice.  Made me believe in her as  a hero... a redemptive moment.  Doesn't sound like the best plan but the intentions are better than anything I've seen in Wanda in awhile.  Acuna does a beautiful job telling this dark tale and his rendition of Simon and Wanda;s happy moments together reminded me of Neo and Trinity's love scene in Matrix 2.  Yeah between this and Captain America, I like Remender's writing. 
 
2. Astro City #5

 
       Nice.
 
    I was a little worried with the beginning of this series, but I shouldn't have.  I like the territory that Kurt Busiek is mining for this Arc.  Went back and read the Second Absolute Planetary book because of it.  A little Lovecraft, a little Burroughs, a little pulp-tech heroics.  All framed by a post-modern narrator.  And I like Mister Cakewalk.  I was worried at first but Busiek executes a sensitive character with Brent Anderson representing him without embarrassing caricature.  Also worth mentioning is Andersons subtle use of different drawing styles for the different stories.  I'll be staying with Astro City. 
 
   
1.  Justice League #24  Forever Evil tie-in
 
 
    Johns & Reis go great together.
 
 
  Sinestro Corps.  One of the best events from the last ten years!  There I said it.  And these boys did that story up.  Geoff Johns and  Ivan Reis.  I got on Trinity War because Ivan was working on it.  Very wordy and very visually stunning.  I saw the preview of this issue on Comicbookresources.com and had to pick this issue up.  Ultraman's origin is told and the character is strong.  His treatment of Jimmy Olsen was illuminating.  This book also echoed Apokolips and Boomtubes.  Can't wait until Darkseid comes back.  I thought Shazam busted up Black Adam, but I loved the way he appeared.  Now we get a chance to see what Ultraman can do when he lets loose.  May not get too many of the Forever Evil books but I will not miss another issue of Justice League while Johns and Reis are on it.   
 
    
 

 

No comments: